Thor’s Thoughts: Choosing Future Classes

As+the+fourth+marking+period+goes+by%2C+students+are+beginning+to+start+thinking+about+next+year.+
As the fourth marking period goes by, students are beginning to start thinking about next year.

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Jenna Fitzgerald, Editor

Dear Thor,
I’m not sure about the classes i want to take for next year and we’re already starting to pick them. How should I decide what classes I should take?

Dear anon,
My first set of advice to you would be to not decide the classes you take based on what your friends are or are not taking. Just because your friends are taking a class does not mean you will get in the same class, so you might be stuck taking a class that you do not enjoy or that you didn’t want to take. Also, don’t allow yourself to take the experiences of other students too seriously. It’s good to ask for advice on classes or what a class is like to get some information ahead of time, but there are always two sides to every story, and some stories might be biased. You will not truly know how well you will do in a class or how you will get along with a teacher/the curriculum until you take the class yourself, so try not to base your decision solely on what other students had to say about the class or the teacher. You know your strengths and weaknesses, so the only person who can really decide what classes you’ll like or you’ll do well in is yourself. Other than asking other students questions, you should talk to a teacher and even do some research on your own. Talking to a teacher can give you the chance to either understand what will be done in the class beforehand, or teacher can help recommend what class you should take, based on what classes you’re trying to decide. If you’re trying to decide on what core classes you should take, such as AP or honors, you should talk to your current core teachers to ask what classes they would recommend you to take. With extracurricular classes, you have more freedom to decide for yourself, as long as you already have any classes you need for credits, such as gym, two years of a language, etc. Overall, just make sure that the classes you decide to take are classes you actually want to take, and classes that will academically benefit you, rather than hurt you.

• Thor’s Thoughts: Choosing Future Classes

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs