Mrs. Roe Invites Japanese Exchange Students

One of the several posters that are displayed in the Cape hallways accompanying the Japanese sthdents’ visit. (The wavy line and heart is generally known to mean “chu” which is Japanese onomonopia for a kiss.)

Photo Credit: Claudia Pulcinella

Photo Credit: Claudia Pulcinella

Claudia Pulcinella, Staff Writer

Foreign students return to Cape Henlopen High School, but this time, instead of being from Europe, they’re from Asia. Arriving at Cape on March 12 and leaving on the 16th, several Exchange students from Japan were brought here through Mrs. Roe, a District Specialist. Like the previous exchange students, the Japanese exchange students were given host families, with children who attend cape, to stay with during their time in the country and they regularly attended Cape high school with the cape-going student(s). First was the Junior Dylan Carnright and his student, Takaswa Atsuhide on the topics of accommodations, wether Dylan liked his exchange student, and some of the things they did together. For what accommodations Dylan and his family had to do to prepare for their guest, Dylan said it’s “kind of easy you just have to show them the things we do everyday that’s very easy because we just have to do what we do everyday.” For wether he liked his student, he simply said “he’s very nice” and for what they did together, Dylan said “yeah we’ve been a lot of places.” Takaswa took over for a bit to tell of what they did recently, “we went to book store and we went to the beach and near the beach we ate dinner it’s very nice” and Dylan ended with what they did yesterday “we went to lefty’s and the air force base.”. The next few topics were for Takaswa Atsuhide and were on, what he thought of American food and his host family, why he came here and wether he would want to come back to America. He said that he came to America ”because I want to improve my English skills. In Japan we can only get right reading and writing skills and it’s a little difficult to get experiences I took someone who could speak English another lady [Mrs. Roe] to improve my English speaking and reasoning skills. I wanted to learn about American culture.” He said that he liked his host family “very much because he [Dylan] is very kind to me and his parents also very kind, do something good for me so I am very comfortable to spend time here.” Takaswa said that American food was “a little different from Japan’s but I think it’s good.” He said he had all the usual American foods, like tacos and hamburgers, and that “it’s all delicious.” For weather he would want to come back to America, he gave a surprising answer, “Yes, actually I have an American citizenship because I was born in America so it is easy to come back to America again. The culture in America is awesome, very good so someday I want to be in America for years.” Up next was the Freshman Carlyn Willis, the student member of the host family for Otone Uchida. Carlyn said that she didn’t have to make many accommodations, she said that “all we had to do was to clean the house a lot.” like Dylan she thought Otone was very nice. For what they did together, Carlyn told of a lot. For what they already did, she said “we went to the Air Force base on a field trip and met the lieutenant.” She then gave what she planned to do with her for the remainder of the week: that day they would go shopping and go to the movies, on Thursday they would go to the school play and see the Cherry Blossom Festival, and on Friday, on a band trip, they would visit the University of Delaware. So far it seems that both the exchange students and the hosts are enjoying their time together and that hopefully they might see each other again after March 16th.

• Mrs. Roe Invites Japanese Exchange Students

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs