Mr. Harrod Hosts German Exchange Students

Some of the Viking Ventures Staff pose for a picture with the exchange students. (l-r) Freshmen Staff Writer Claudia Pulcinella, Exchange Student Eva von Borzeszkowski, Senior Editor-in-Chief Katie Redefer, Exchange Student Lara Weitmann, Senior Online Editor-in-Chief Sarah Hunsicker, and Exchange Student Lucie Wirths.

Photo Credit: Peyton Welch

Photo Credit: Peyton Welch

Claudia Pulcinella, Staff Writer

From October 21st to November 9th, 15 German Exchange students were assigned their classes for the day. Mr. Harrod told them where to go and at what time. The students followed their host students into their classrooms. The German exchange students came with only two chaperones and stayed with various local families. Their ages similar to the age range of students at Cape, from ages 15 to 17. The program was led by Mr. Harrod, who hosted four students, Jill Gierke, Luca Stumie, Lara Weitmann, and Chiarra Wipperfield.

“It was pretty difficult to get all 15 students placed for classes everyday, because I have a lot of Cape students that want to host them.” Mr. Harrod said, regarding the difficult scheduling situation. He enjoyed the program and liked the students, despite the difficulties and necessary accommodations. “They’ve met the lieutenant governor, they’ve been to Washington DC… I love them, some of the most polite well mannered students I’ve ever met, some of the coolest students I’ve ever met. They all released positivity,” Mr. Harrod added.

Mr. Harrod’s son, Senior Jimmy Harrod contributed, with telling some of the more day to-day aspects of, before, and during their visit. “We had an extra bed already and set up a air mattress so we had two beds in there already, other than that we had to get more fruit because they like fruit. Because it’s a European thing, they eat more fruit for breakfast.” He explained the various events and places they went to. “It was a very busy 3 weeks. Showing them things every day. Ms. Pat helped with the Rotary Club. Philadelphia, they Washington DC, New York. Bowling for free at Lefty’s, a soccer match, Germans won the tie. We took one of them on their birthday to Tokyo steakhouse.” Jimmy also mentioned that the one loved their birthday and told of them planning to come back each year.

The Exchange Students often talked about the differences between American culture and German culture, over a bowl of chocolates. Eva led the conversations, while the two others agreed, most of the time. While the Germans were trying the sweets, an editor, Senior Katie Redefer brought up what they think about American food and Germans agreed on hating it. Saying that there was too much chlorine and sulfur in tap water and the chocolate was a lot sweeter than what they have overseas. They used the food and bad water as a reason why they likely wouldn’t come back. They also told of how they got involved with the exchange program saying, “There was an article in the newspaper.” Their English was understandable and it was easy to get the gist of what they were saying, their writing was likely the same. When asked about difficulty with English, they responded with the three options. Lara said one side, with “it’s harder to speak English.” Eva said the other, with, “it easier to speak but also with grammar mistakes.” While Lucie was in-between, saying, “I think for me it’s the same, it’s the same.”

A final group picture was taken, featuring the three German exchange students and the two editors, going in the order of, American, German, American, German.

• Mr. Harrod Hosts German Exchange Students

A&E

Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

News

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher