Injuries in Sports Take A Toll On The Mental State of Atheltes

Cayden Steele, Editor

Every year athletes around the world suffer injuries minor and significant. Ranging from strains to tears, from pulled muscles to ACL injuries or Achilles tears. No matter what injury it’s difficult to miss time and return feeling 100%. Especially serious injuries like Torn ACL’s(Anterior Cruciate Ligament) and concussions can take so much out of people. A lot of athletes are timid to return due to the fear of tearing something or re injuring themselves.

Injuries kill athletes especially in high school and college because they struggle to make up for the missed time. Back to back injuries are also killer for young athletes. Rehab and the surgeries make things even tougher, so much pain and agony are included with long recovery times. Some people fight through and return to one hundred percent but others career’s come to a holt.

Injuries impact a lot of people in sports. Sometimes dreams can be ruined but other times some can find motivation. The people who find motivation, will work harder and become even better players from the setback. A lot of tear shed is involved with injuries, sadly some may become depressed from an injury.

Injuries are the saddest thing in sports, no matter how hard they work something could change in a matter of a second. Stretching can help but that’s not always true. The most flexible people can still suffer major injuries.

When someone gets hurt, the crowd goes silent and worries go though the minds of parents, friends and teamates. Atheltes hearts beat really fast and an adrenaline rush hits when they suffer an injury, then after they realize what has happened a time of sadness occurs.

Most athletes are timid when they return, that one step or movement reminds them to much of their injury. Fear runs through their heart when they take the field for the first time again. Some questions arise through the minds of these atheltes. Including, What if it happens again? Is it worth it?

Many coaches and students have seen and been through injuries at this school ,”my college career ended because of an injury, once you get hurt physically it’s a set back to get back to your old form. It’s tough mentally just wondering you’ll get back to the point you need to be at. Physically it’s tough to come back and mentally it’s hard not to fall behind because you have to stay checked in,” Mrs. Austin said.

Everyone thinks differently about injuries,” there is a difference between being hurt and injured. You can play through being hurt. Injuries are harder to come back from and they take mental toughness. Injuries test your mental fortitude. Can you come back stronger from an injury?  Can you take care of business?” Coach Billy said

Anyone who goes through a tough injury needs to be wished the best of luck and needs to have great support. Injuries are tough to deal with and they take a great toll on someone’s body and mind. The bottom line is injuries sadly shape the lives of young athletes sometimes.

• Injuries in Sports Take A Toll On The  Mental State of Atheltes

A&E

Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

News

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher