Coach Collick’s Last Season

Coach Collick talking to his team during practice.

Photo Credit: Dave Fredrick

Photo Credit: Dave Fredrick

Cayden Steele, Editor

Coach Collick will retire from coaching after this season, he has made an impact on the school that will never be forgotten. He’s also the Dean Of Students and will be around next year in the same position. Collick has turned around a football program, that was once considered one of the worst in the state. He brought the Vikings to the playoffs and has made them very competive in the conference. This year the Vikings have high expectations again with Collick as coach.

Coach Collick has been coaching at Cape for a while and has many memories,” my favorite thing is going from the act of chasing respectability and kind of showing up and expecting to win. Also people  coming together for the cause, the administration has done such a great job. Mr.Donahue did such a great job for this school and know with Mrs. Miller and starting all the way back with Dr. Robinson,” Collick said. Robinson was Collick’s junior high football coach and is a guy he respects and looks up to.

Collick has some good memories from games,” the Sussex Tech vs Cape Henlopen rivalry is a favorite of mine and the win against Sussex Central last year was big for the program.” The win against Sussex Central last year was a bright spot for a program that keeps improving.

Collick has some goals for his last season here at Cape Henlopen High School,” I would love to win a conference championship and get in the playoffs. Once you get in the playoffs anything can happen.” The conference championship is up for grabs and Cape has come close so many years and this would be the perfect finish to a great coaching year.

Many people wonder what’s the future of the program after Collick retires after this season. He believes Cape’s future is very good.” I think the future is bright because people care about coming to this football program. I think more people are coming to this area with 1,550 people attending this school.” The program’s successful turnaround should be owed to Collick. He has turned a football program that once was abismial and now they’re are more than respectable. Collick wants to be remembered for one thing,” a guy who wanted to be a part of the solution and not the problem.”

Collick wanted to be a coach since he was young ,”I always had great admirations from little league to college and I kind of wanted to be like them because they aspired me so much.” Collick has aspired many people he has coached and worked with.

Collick is currently coaching in his 42 season. He started his coaching days at Cape Henlopen after his college playing days. Then he also coached at Delaware State and Dover Junior High. He also was the head coach at Sussex Tech, the schools rival. Then he returned to Cape in 2010 to help restore a  struggling football program. ” I’ve been blessed, you hear the expression you can not come home again well that is not true because after all the years I’ve coached I went home.”

Collick has coached many great players over his years here at Cape. ” There has been a lot of good players. One player that stands out is Jerome Johnson. Diaz Nardo had a great arm and was a next level punter as well. Sammy Mohr was a great player for us and so was Dom Brisco. Thomas Ott was a great two way player for us and Robert Mitchell had a great senior season. Cory Lawson was a great downhill backer for us and was a really great long snapper. Rasheed Woods was a quiet leader and could do it all. He could pull from the front like a good tugboat and could lead from the back. The players of 2010 I have a lot of respect for and that group was tired of the losing and didn’t want to be defined by that. They started to get better and they hit the weight room.”  Collick said there was to many good players to mention over his time here at Cape.

Collick will be remembered for a turning around an awful football program and changing the lives of young men. Cape owes a big thank you to Mr. Collick. The school, friends and family wish him the best for his future endeavors.

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

• Coach Collick’s Last Season

Cape Culture

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Spirit Week 2017

Coach Collick’s Last Season