Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Studehts volunteering at the orphanage in Costa Rica. Left- right: Katie Redefer, Samantha Tracy, Dylan Kaplan, Logan Dominick, John DeStefano and Mrs. Garver. In the middle are Ned Gladfelter, Lindsey Reynolds, Mrs. Walls, Hannah Lewis, and Jessica Gardner. At the front are Mr. Berman and your guide Maria Ovares.

Photo Credit: Mr. Berman

Photo Credit: Mr. Berman

Katie Redefer, Print Editor-In-Chief

Photo Credit: Mr. Berman
Students paint a wall at the orphanage they volunteered at. Left to right: John DeStefano, Samantha Tracy, Katie Redefer, Dylan Kaplan, Lindsey Reynolds, Mr. Berman and Mrs. Garvert.

On March 28th, 17 spanish students and 8 teachers departed from Washington DC to spend 6 days in Costa Rica. The field trip was organized by the spanish department so students could live with a host family to help them practice their spanish and get an authentic feel for the Costa Rican culture.

The group landed in San Jose on March 28th, taking a short bus ride to Alajuela where students would meet their host families. These host families spoke only Spanish with the students, although some of their children spoke a little English. Throughout the trip kids got to create lasting bonds with their host families and got an authentic experience which they wouldn’t have received had they stayed in a hotel.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer
Student Dylan Kaplan feeds coconut water to a white faced monkey at Manuel Antonio National Park.

Students and teachers explored many parts of the island. On the first day they took a guided tour of the capital city San Jose. Over the next days they went zip lining through the rainforest, stopped on bus rides to look at sloths and crocodiles, visited the Baldi Natural Hot Springs, saw the La Paz Waterfall, and sun bathed on the beaches of Manuel Antonio National Park with White-Faced Monkeys. They also got to take a Tico cooking class and a dancing class. On the last day of the trip, the group spent a few hours completing volunteer work at a local orphanage that needed help renovating some of their facilities.

Students had a lot of thoughts about the trip. Senior Sam Tracy said, “I liked zip lining the most, it was fun. And the beach was awesome. We got to play cards with our host family a lot so that was pretty cool.” Additionally, Senior Hannah Wiswell said, “Going to the orphanage was very interesting. It was a cool experience learning more Spanish, because when talking to our host families we got to learn from our mistakes.”

Overall, this trip to Costa Rica created memories that the students will never forget as they continue to develop their Spanish speaking skills. As they say in Costa Rica, ¡Pura Vida!

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs

• Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

Cape Culture

Halfway Through the 2017-18 School Year

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica