Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Pictured+are+the+two+gowns+signed+by+the+Class+of+2018.+The+gown+to+the+left+was+blue+and+signed+by+the+male+students%2C+the+gown+on+the+right+was+gold+and+signed+by+female+students.+
Pictured are the two gowns signed by the Class of 2018. The gown to the left was blue and signed by the male students, the gown on the right was gold and signed by female students.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Sarah Hunsicker, Online Editor-in-Chief

Every year on May 1st high school seniors across the nation celebrate National Decision Day. Decision Day is the day that seniors commit to the college or university that they will be attending in the following year.  High schools across the nation hold different celebrations for their students.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer
The map of the United States where students labeled where they would be attending college.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer
The map of Delaware where students labeled the colleges they would be attending.

During eighth period on May 1st, seniors were called down to the rotunda to begin the celebrations. Seniors first started in the rotunda where they were each given a blue pen that has a graduate on top wearing a blue cap with a yellow tassel. The side of the pen has Cape Henlopen High School Class of 2018 written in yellow lettering. Students were then escorted into the rotunda where tables were set up. The tables displayed a list written in alphabetical order where students had to find their names. Once the student found their name, they wrote down their future plans next to their name. “I thought that it was inspiring to see the list of everyone’s name and where they are planning on going to next year,” Senior Jacki O’Niell said.

After writing their plans on the list, seniors were next taken into the cafeteria where two maps were displayed. The first was a map of the United States and the second was a more detailed map of the state of Delaware. Small post-it notes were handed out so seniors could write their name and place it in the location where their school was at. Students were also able to sign a yellow and blue graduation gown. “For my senior decision day, I decided on attending UD next fall. I feel like it’ll be a good fit for me,” Senior Alicia Markofski said.

The Cape Viking Ventures Staff congratulates the Class of 2018 on their college decisions and wishes them a successful first semester at the school of their choice!

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor-in-Chief

Sarah Hunsicker was born in Lewes, Delaware and is the Online Editor-in-Chief for the Viking Ventures. In her spare time she enjoys dancing, traveling,...

Katie Redefer, Editor-in-Chief

Katie Redefer also participates in the Cape Henlopen Theatre Program and is an avid member of the Cape GSA. Her works have been included in multiple forms...

• Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs

Cape Culture

Halfway Through the 2017-18 School Year