Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

Every+year+Mrs.+Locklear+helps+organize+the+Kim+Miller+5k+Race+in+memorial+of+her+sister+Kim+Miller%2C+who+died+of+breasts+cancer.+Pictured+is+Mrs.+Locklear+at+the+Kim+Miller+5k+Race+with+her+nephew+and+Kim+Miller%27s+son%2C+Bryan+Miller.+
Every year Mrs. Locklear helps organize the Kim Miller 5k Race in memorial of her sister Kim Miller, who died of breasts cancer. Pictured is Mrs. Locklear at the Kim Miller 5k Race with her nephew and Kim Miller's son, Bryan Miller.

Photo Credit: Lisa Locklear

Photo Credit: Lisa Locklear

Sarah Hunsicker and Katie Redefer

The American Cancer Society estimates that 1 in 8 women will have breast cancer at some point in their life. It’s also estimated that about 252,710 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer this year alone.

Closer to home, Economics teacher Mrs. Locklear has recently been diagnosed with stage two breast cancer. “I caught it early which is very good because it is treatable and it is manageable. I’m keeping a positive outlook and I’m trying to keep the positive vibes around,” Mrs. Locklear said.

In 2011, Mrs. Locklear’s sister Kim Miller passed away after battling with breast cancer at the age of 28. This inspired Mrs. Locklear to start the annual Kim Miller 5k race. The race takes place in Georgetown at the 16 Mile Brewery and all the proceeds are donated to the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition. “The race is always held in April which is the month of my sister’s birthday. So instead of it being something sad it can be a way of remembering her,” Locklear added.

Since the passing of her sister, Mrs. Locklear has a mammogram every year. Her mother also passed away from breast cancer a year ago, so it is important she gets these mammograms because Mrs. Locklear is at high risk for getting the disease. This year when she went for her mammogram, the doctors found a mass on the scans and told her to come back to their office for a biopsy the following day. “That’s when I knew that I had breast cancer,” She said. “I had been doing self examinations and I never felt the mass. The doctors had to show me on the scans where it was at,” She added.

Some people feel that breast cancer awareness isn’t talked about enough in schools, especially in health class. “It always seems like bad things happen to good people. I definitely think that we should’ve learned about it in health class,” Senior Taylor Hazzard said. Most people who’ve been affected by Breast Cancer agree that educating teen girls about self examinations should be required in health class, even if it only helps a small group of women. “I lost my sister when she was 28 years old. I am 35 years-old and I have been diagnosed. Insurances don’t cover mammogram screenings until you’re 40 so I definitely think that early detection and self examinations should be taught in health classes,” Mrs. Locklear said.

While Mrs. Locklear is receiving her treatment, Mr. Jablon will be taking over her teaching schedule. “Mr. Jablon actually volunteered to cover my classes. So a substitute is going to be covering his classes. He agreed to add my classes on to his work load which I appreciate,” Locklear said.

All students and staff are encourage to show their support by wearing pink on Monday. Mrs. Locklear is expected to be out until after Winter Break. The staff of the Cape Viking Ventures sends our best wishes to Mrs. Locklear and her family at this time.

To read more about the Delaware Breast Cancer Coalition and to donate to the cause, visit their website: http://debreastcancer.org/

• Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

Cape Culture

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Spirit Week 2017

A&E

Theater Students Will be Taking Their First Field Trip to See “Mean Girls the Musical”