Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

After+seven+years+at+the+helm+of+Cape+Henlopen+High+School%2C+Mr.+Donahue+is+stepping+down+and+passing+the+title+to+Mrs.+Miller.+
After seven years at the helm of Cape Henlopen High School, Mr. Donahue is stepping down and passing the title to Mrs. Miller.

Photo Credit: Dan Cook

Photo Credit: Dan Cook

Hannah Lowe, Editor-in-Chief

The game has ended and the final score is in — Brian Donahue is leaving the field. After more than two decades in the Cape district, the high school principal announced his retirement on March 9th, 2017. While it’s sad to see him go, the students, staff, and community of CHHS appreciate the work Mr. Donahue has done at the school in his seven years as principal.

Mr. Donahue began his career in the Cape school district in 1993. Before moving to the high school, he served as a conference-winning football coach and the principal of Mariner Middle. Later, he became assistant principal of the high school before being promoted to principal in 2010. Under his leadership, Cape Henlopen High School was named a National Blue Ribbon School in 2015 — at the time, the only comprehensive high school in the state to be awarded this prestigious honor since 1987.

As well as receiving national recognition, the high school environment under Mr. Donahue has received praise from its staff. William Walls, the high school’s 2017 Teacher of the Year and longtime district employee, commended Mr. Donahue’s leadership qualities. “I’ve worked under five or six principals,” Mr. Walls said, “but Mr. Donahue has the best mix of their skills.”

He continued, “He has the right balance of providing teachers with the support they need while maintaining high expectations.”

Similarly, Assistant Principal Nikki Miller praised Mr. Donahue’s dedication. “He works more hours than anyone else that I know. He manages difficult situations with ease and he is always even-tempered,” she said. Mrs. Miller added, “One thing I’ve admired about him since I was hired was that he is truly a kind person. He truly is a good guy who looks out for others.”

With Mr. Donahue’s retirement comes discussion about who will be his replacement. Though the position received many applications by the end of March, current Assistant Principal Nikki Miller was chosen as his successor.

Before the decision was announced, Mrs. Miller addressed speculation that she would apply for the job. She explained, “It is my goal to one day be a principal, and I love Cape and hope to remain here for the rest of my career. That being said, I’m young for an administrator so if it doesn’t happen right away I’m okay with that.”

“However,” she added, “if it does, I’d welcome the opportunity.”

After two decades in the district, Brian Donahue has certainly given his all to the Viking community. His dedication and fairness will be missed, and as Mrs. Miller said, “He has always thought about what is best for students.”

• Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

A&E

Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

News

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher