Sadie Hawkins Preview

Darby Hollinger, Editor

Evening lights, beautiful gowns, a red carpet, and girls asking guys to the dance. It sounds too good to be true, but it’s not a dream — Cape is hosting a Sadie Hawkins dance in March!

Cape’s first ever Sadie Hawkins dance will take place on March 11 from 7 to 10pm. The theme du jour will be “Red Carpet,” promising an elegant and classy scene. The dance will be held in the school cafeteria. Tickets will cost $5 and half of the funds raised from ticket sales will benefit juvenile diabetes research. No guests from other schools will be permitted to attend.

For those who have never heard the term before, a “Sadie Hawkins” dance is a reverse prom (although traditionally less formal), where girls invite a guy to attend with them. The name comes the mid-20th century comic strip L’il Abner about a special day of the year when the women of a small town pursued local bachelors. The idea of girls-ask-guys dances became popular almost immediately, becoming a regular occurrence at American high schools and colleges.

While Cape has never held a dance like this before, many other high schools in the area have. A few years ago there had been an attempt to organize this dance, but the plans never went through. Clearly, it has been a topic of interest at Cape for some time.

“We had leftover money from previous dances and we decided to do something that hadn’t been done yet,” said SGA officer Dillion Mocci. “Most private schools around us do Sadie Hawkins dances. It’s true that they tried [a few years ago] but it was shut down due to lack of resources and planning.” Fortunately, 2017 will be the year when the years of planning come to fruition. One can hope that Sadie Hawkins dances become an annual Cape tradition!

Sadie Hawkins Preview