Is Sadie Hawkins Old-Fashioned?

Nathaniel Zebley, Editor

On March 11th, Cape will be hosting its first ever Sadie Hawkins dance. The term “Sadie Hawkins” originated from a comic strip titled Li’l Abner by Al Capp. In the cartoon, a character named Sadie Hawkins (described as being “the homeliest gal in all them hills”) becomes impatient waiting for a bachelor to suit her. Her father becomes worried about her living at home alone for the rest of her life, so he declares a footrace between the bachelors of the town. The loser of the race has to marry Sadie Hawkins. A few years after the cartoon strip was released, thousands of venues were reported to have hosted a “Sadie Hawkins” dance. The original idea of the Sadie Hawkins dance was conceived in the mid-1940s. During this time period, women inviting men to dances was very rare. However, due to equal rights movements in today’s society, times have changed drastically since the conception of the Sadie Hawkins dance.

Although the Sadie Hawkins dance has been a tradition in high schools and colleges in the U.S. and Canada for about 79 years, some share the opinion that women should already be able to ask guys to any school dance — not just Sadie Hawkins.

“Girls can always ask a guy to any dance, including prom. Nowadays, we are shooting for equality and everyone has the right to ask who they want to any dance,” said Junior Sarah Bennett.

Many students share Bennett’s view, including Senior Peyton Holtzclaw. “It shouldn’t matter who asks who to any dance, honestly,” she said.

To many, it’s clear that it doesn’t matter who asks who when simply asking somebody to a school dance. “It doesn’t always have to be the guys that ask,” said Senior Casshan Johnson. “I think it’s sexist that people say it has to be the guy that asks the girl,” he explained.

Clearly, some students believe that the concept of a Sadie Hawkins dance is old-fashioned. Many students would agree that guys asking girls shouldn’t be the tradition anymore. In fact, when asking a significant other to a dance, there shouldn’t really be any real gender roles when doing so.

“I think that Sadie Hawkins is old fashioned because it’s trying to flip gender roles, and saying that this is the one chance where a girl can ask a boy to a dance. Anyone should be able to ask who they want. There doesn’t need to be a specific tradition just for a girl to feel like she’s allowed to ask a boy to a dance,” said Senior Allie Mechlinski.

Is Sadie Hawkins Old-Fashioned?