Editor’s Note: The Season of Giving

Hannah Lowe, Editor-in-Chief

The holidays are a strange time of contradictions in America. On Thanksgiving, we express gratitude for the things we already have, and the next day (and sometimes at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving Thursday, depending on the store) we trample each other in a horde to get the best deals at Best Buy and Walmart. Around Christmas, we get into the spirit of giving, while simultaneously making lengthy wish lists and shaking presents under the tree to figure out what we’ll receive Christmas morning.

The holidays are certainly a hallmark of American capitalism, but it’s important to remember that they are also a time of giving. There are many people who cannot enjoy the holidays because they can’t afford to do so, in which case America’s consumer mania is nothing but a reminder of what they don’t have.

We love to give gifts to our friends and family and we can give to our communities as well. Local soup kitchens and food banks are very appreciative of donations, and many clubs (including the Business Professionals of America and National Honor Society) run food drives around the holiday season to provide meals for the less fortunate. Toys for Tots is always around, collecting money and gifts to provide presents for children whose parents can’t afford them.

The holidays are certainly a season of consumerism, but it’s also a season of giving — not just to our loved ones, but our neighbors who need it as well.

Editor’s Note: The Season of Giving