Students Opinions on Working on Black Friday

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor

The holiday is famous for decorations, tunes, and of course, shopping. Along with the holiday season comes the busiest shopping day of the year, Black Friday. On Black Friday, the Tanger outlets in Rehoboth opened at 6 p.m. on Thanksgiving and were open through the night into Friday until 10 p.m.

Black Friday is known for the big sales and deals that stores have to offer for shoppers.

“I think that Black Friday gets the attention it gets because there are sales throughout the holiday season that are just as good as the sales that take place on Black Friday, ” said Senior Allie Mechlinski. She continued, “I think that Black Friday is overrated.” Mechlinski works in the outlets as a sales associate.

Many students that work in outlet stores either miss their Thanksgiving celebrations or leave early in order to help open their store on Black Friday. The day is one of the most hectic times of the year and behind the store doors many sales associates are working harder and longer hours in order to make the big day happen.

“Personally, I was not looking forward to working from open to 4:30 in the morning on Thanksgiving. But I think that it was a good experience from me. I think that it was a lot of fun,” Junior Madison Sarnak said. Sarnak is a sales associate at Calvin Klein.

“Although my hours for the Black Friday week were a little hectic and I was clocking out a lot, I’m looking forward to the paycheck that I will be receiving because of working Black Friday week,” Mechlinski said. Depending on their employment contract, some retail workers may be entitled to getting paid “time and a half.” Time and a half is a worker’s hourly pay plus 50 percent. However, federal law does not require management to pay their employees extra for working Thanksgiving into Black Friday.

All in all, working the week of Black Friday can be exhausting and aggravating. However, at the end of the day, all of the associates’ long hours and hard work pays off to the consumers, employees, and the store.