Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

This map of the United States depicts the total minimal number of fights that occurred on Black Friday. The majority of the fights occurred in the southern states.

Photo Credit: Estately

As the end of the year looms closer and closer, many minds travel towards the holiday season. Along with the holiday season comes Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa, and Black Friday. Economists are saying that Black Friday is the most anticipated day of the year. Black Friday gets its name from a hot dog vending cart in the Philadelphia Thanksgiving Parade back in 1951. It was dubbed the name due to all the chaos caused by the citizens. It also known as the day that retailers and stores start making more profit. Many stores offer deals that cannot be passed up causing shoppers to come out and buy the product at the store. However, there are also several aspects of Black Friday that have shoppers concern and avoiding Black Friday shopping.

Although the idea of getting ahead of holiday shopping can be exciting, many shoppers avoid starting too early. Many stores across the nation open their doors in the early hours of Thanksgiving. This year, Sears, Kohl’s, Walmart and Target all opened their doors to customers at 6PM. Every store opens their doors to a large crowd of shoppers that have left their families on Thanksgiving day to stand outside a store in the cold just to buy an item for a cheaper price. “I like going Black Friday shopping because prices on things I want go down.” Said Freshman Shauna Brittingham. Locally, Tanger Outlets opened the majority of their doors at around 8 PM. “I didn’t go Black Friday shopping this year. But in my opinion, Black Friday is always crowded and violent but the sales are really good.” Said Sophomore Madison Shatzer.

Another aspect of Black Friday, aside from the long lines, that have shoppers avoiding Black Friday shopping would be the fights and violence involved with the stores. For example, in a Virginia two suspects have been arrested in a stabbing altercation in a Walmart parking lot. “I don’t think that violence is needed. You are supposed to spend time with your family and have fun. Not fight over something for a christmas present for your son or daughter.” Said Sophomore Wes Humphries.

Personally I went Black Friday shopping this year except I didn’t stay out too late. My family had our Thanksgiving early because of Black Friday. We ate at around 4 PM and then left at 8 PM and went Black Friday shopping at the Outlets. I originally planned on not going Black Friday shopping but I decided to go since I went with my friends and family.

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

• Black Friday, Is It Necessary?

Cape Culture

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Spirit Week 2017

Black Friday, Is It Necessary?