Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Senior+Edenexis+Rodriguez-Garcia+meeting+with+the+villagers+of+Karon+in+Turkwel%2C+Pokot%2C+Kenya.+%E2%80%9CThis+is+where+we+are+planning+to+do+the+irrigation+project%2C%22+Mrs.+Aiken+said.+
Senior Edenexis Rodriguez-Garcia meeting with the villagers of Karon in Turkwel, Pokot, Kenya. “This is where we are planning to do the irrigation project,

Senior Edenexis Rodriguez-Garcia meeting with the villagers of Karon in Turkwel, Pokot, Kenya. “This is where we are planning to do the irrigation project," Mrs. Aiken said.

Photo Credit: Mrs. Aiken

Photo Credit: Mrs. Aiken

Claudia Pulcinella, Staff Writer

Over spring break, Mrs. Aiken, the Cape Textiles Family and Consumer Services teacher, visited Africa to teach women there how to sew. But that vague summery doesn’t tell the whole story.  Mrs. Aiken took two students with her, Senior Edenexis Rodriguez-Garcia and her brother from the sewing class and we went to an area called Turkewl. Turkwel is a village in Kenya, Africa where they went to start a project.

“The project that we were starting was a sewing school for the women of Riting, which is near Turkwel, and we’re starting a water irrigation project for the people of the village of Karon,” Mrs. Aiken said. The sewing school project does have a sponsor. “I’m partnering with the sunrise rotary club. This group heard about what I was doing and decided to partner with me to do the sewing school for the Mach grant,” Aiken added.

The water project also had a sponsor where they partnered with Edenexis Rodriguez-Garcia‘s parents to get money. The sewing class originated from back when Mrs. Aiken visited Africa last summer “I saw there were broken sewing machines at a place we visited and I decided that I could fix that so last year I started a project where I bought sewing machines. So that’s what I did over the summer I lived in Kenya and taught the women how to sew.” She added that “It’s significant because the women in their tribe are illiterate and this allowed them to make money.”

The sewing project continued with her trip over spring break.  “The water project came from when the villagers of Karon “were told to irrigate their land and they didn’t know how to do it. So if they could irrigate their land then they’d would have money.” “My two students are going to be teaching the the group of people to irrigate their land.” Mrs. Aiken concluded her story by saying “I plan to go back this summer. So this is important for them to upgrade their standard of living and to get educated.” saying that we dislike going to it, but if you don’t have one your not going to get far.

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs

• Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

Halfway Through the 2017-18 School Year

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa