The Blue Whale Challenge To Blame For Increased Suicide Rate

The Blue Whale challenge is named after the marine animal the Blue Whale. However, it is unknown why the challenge is named after the animal. Throughout the 50 day duration of the challenge, participants will be asked to draw pictures of whales or doing certain activities revolving around a Blue Whale.

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor-in-Chief

According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, in 2006 was at a 10.97 rate per 100,000 individuals. In 2015 the rate increased to 13.26.  Within the past six months of the 2017-2018 school year, a school district in Ohio has been dealing with the aftermath of six of their students committing suicide. Parents of the students say that their children gave no warning that they were planning on taking their own life. It is believed that the students in the school district bullied their children to death. One parent describe how she had to come to school and pick her child up because he was scared of a particular group of boys. Investigators are currently looking into whether or not bullying had a role in the death of these students or if there were other reasons. One reason that investors are looking at closely is a new challenge that has been making headlines in not only the United States but also in countries like the United Kingdom and Russia.

The new challenge is called The Blue Whale Challenge. The challenge takes place over a 50 day time period. There is a person that is the administrator of the challenge and each day the person that is participating in the challenge is given a task from the administrator that needs to be completed each day. The tasks in towards the beginning stages of the challenge are tasks that are easier but can be difficult to carry out. For example it could be scaring a friend or watching a horror movie. The tasks progressively get harder to carry out. Some task include watching a movie or listening to a movie that is assigned by the administrator. Each challenge is different for each person. In one example of the challenge, the administrator had a participant climb onto the roofs of buildings, or stand on the edge of the building, and even climb cranes. Towards around day 25, the administrators checks on the participants to see if they are trust worthy. The tasks increasingly become more difficult until on day 50, the participant commits suicide. In the example of the challenge mentioned before hand, the participant committed suicide by jumping off of a building. “I think that the Blue Whale Challenge is just another stupid internet challenge, like the Tide Pods challenge, that was created for juveniles to purposely harm themselves,” Senior Madison Sarnak said.

The challenge originated in Russia where a man wanted to convince young girls and women to take their own lives. The man was arrested and he confessed to his actions. This challenge is believed to be linked with the increase in the number of suicides in the United Kingdom and in Russia. Parents of the students that killed themselves in the Ohio school district also speculate that this challenge could be linked with their child’s death. However they believe that bullying could have also been a factor.

If you or someone you know is considering committing suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline; 1-800-273-8255, this hotline is available 24 HOURS EVERY DAY. You can also text HOME to the National Suicide Prevention Hotline; 741741. In addition you can also write a concern and place it in the concern box located outside the doors of the library.

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor-in-Chief

Sarah Hunsicker was born in Lewes, Delaware and is the Online Editor-in-Chief for the Viking Ventures. In her spare time she enjoys dancing, traveling,...

• The Blue Whale Challenge To Blame For Increased Suicide Rate

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs