Winter Break Returns Thanks To Deep Freeze

The deep freeze caused parts of the Delaware Bay were frozen over. Local Delawareans couldn't believe it and had to venture out and snap of picture for evidence. The Cape May Lewes Ferry even had to close since the ice was too thick.

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor-in-Chief

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker
Snow accumulations in Lewes, Delaware were anywhere from 10-11 inches in some areas. Areas in Rehoboth Beach accumulated about a foot of snow.

Remember the famous Christmas carol that begins with the lyrics, “I’m dreaming of a white Christmas,”? Residents in Erie, Pennsylvania received a White Out Christmas instead. Approximately 36 inches of snow was dumped on the city just on Christmas Day. But the snow didn’t stop there. The continued to fall from the sky overnight into Tuesday morning, blanketing the city in another 24.5 inches of snow.  As of the Wednesday following Christmas Day, almost 70 inches of snow has covered the ground in Erie. This event marks the beginning of a Deep Freeze that has been felt by the majority of Americans.

On January 3rd Winter Storm Grayson landed in the south and snow began to fall in northern Florida, causing some residents to panic. In other parts of Florida, temperatures dropped down to anywhere near to 40 degrees. The storm will travel from the southern portion of the east coast up to the northern part of the coast. Once the storm makes its way to the northern most part of the east coast, it is expected to stay in the same place for more then 24 hours and hover over the New England area. Blizzard conditions are expected for the entire state of Maine, Rhode Island, and portions of Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, and Connecticut are all under a Blizzard Warning. Areas in the southern parts of the United States all the way up to Pennsylvania are all under a Winter Storm Warning, including Delaware.

Closer to home, Delawareans woke up to temperatures closer to zero on Wednesday. In Lewes temperatures were as low as 8 degrees. In the southern part of the United States, Winter Storm Grayson was quickly approaching the Delmarva Peninsula. The winter storm had blanketed the south with almost a foot of snow in some areas. In response to the blizzard warning that was placed on the Sussex county region, Superintendent Bob Fulton called homes of students later in the evening announcing that school for Thursday had been cancelled. On Thursday morning, students woke up to their yards covered in a thick layer of the snow. Snow fall was heaviest in coastal areas, with about 11 inches accumulating in Lewes and about 12 inches in Rehoboth Beach. Sussex county was not only placed under a blizzard warning, but the entire state of Delaware went under a State of Emergency with a level one travel ban. Thursday evening, students received a call similar to the one they received the night before which announced that school would be closed once again on Friday. In addition to all of the schools closing down, businesses closed their doors on Thursday and kept them close until Saturday when people started traveling on the roads again. “I went on the roads before the travel ban was over and I saw some guys pulling their friend behind their truck on some skimboards,” Senior Gabby Valunas said.

Over the weekend, Delaware still experienced the frigid temperatures with a low of -1 degrees in the evening and a blistering high of 32 degrees in the afternoon. The snow that had fallen was now starting the freeze creating ice blocks in the yards of Delawareans. Residents were starting to leave their homes on Saturday since the travel ban was lifted in the afternoon. Housing communities were covered in a sheet of ice and poorly plowed, some were plowed better then others. Parking lots were getting plowed creating large mountains of snow that were placed randomly throughout the parking lot. At the Rehoboth Beach Tanger Outlets, piles of snow were piled so high that they reached the top of power lines, creating a wall blocking the outlet’s view from Route One.

On Sunday, the temperatures still remained below freezing (32 degrees) causing the roads and poorly plowed housing developments to freeze over, making road conditions unbearable for drivers. In the evening on Sunday, Mr. Fulton released yet another call announcing that due to high winds and poor road conditions school would be cancelled on Monday. In response, students rejoiced for their now five day weekend. Temperatures on Monday finally reached above freezing for the first time in almost two weeks. With a high of about 40 degrees during the day. However, that evening the temperature quickly plummeted back down to below freezing which caused all the snow that had melted onto the roadways to once again freeze over within minutes. Around seven o’clock in the evening on Monday, Mr. Fulton returned once again announcing that school had been cancelled (again) due to the poor road conditions. Fortunately creating a six day weekend for students. On the other hand, teachers and administrators only received two hour days on both Monday and Tuesday.

During the day on Tuesday, temperatures rose to about 45 degrees causing a lot of the ice on the roads to melt away. The snow on the other hand, probably isn’t going to be going anywhere any time soon. Students received another phone call in the evening announcing that school would be operating on normal hours for the rest of the week. Wednesday marked the ending of a very long six day weekend for students. However students were not marked late until after 7:55 due to snow blocking off one of the turn lanes that leads to the Village of Five Points. “I enjoyed having more time off from school. But I am concerned about how this will effect my midterms,” Senior Avery Disque said.

All in all, it’s safe to say that even though the winter season has just started, it looks like it’s off to a great start. Even though the White Christmas didn’t exactly happen, students in Sussex County rejoice because even though they attended school on January 3rd and 4th, the deep freeze rewarded them with Winter Storm Grayson and another winter break.

• Winter Break Returns Thanks To Deep Freeze

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs