Net Neutrality repealed by FCC by 3-2 vote; citizens outraged

FCC commissioner Ajit Pai at a net neutrality workshop.  The vote to repeal net neutrality was a success on December 14, 2017

FCC commissioner Ajit Pai at a net neutrality workshop. The vote to repeal net neutrality was a success on December 14, 2017

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Photo Credit: Creative Commons

Blaine Davis, Staff Writer

By a very controversial vote on the morning of the 14th, net neutrality was repealed. The FCC administrators voted to repeal the law, and it passed with a vote of 3-2.  Outrage over the idea of even taking away such a large civil freedom and a public utility is spreading across the country.  Petitions everywhere and protest have sprung all around, and some lawyers are even planning a “multi-state lawsuit”.  Even at Cape, students and teachers are furious over the repeal of this law. “I don’t like it all, I don’t think we need to pay to look something up,” freshman Dylan Rezac said.

The idea of repealing net neutrality sprung from Ajit Pai, who is the current chairman of the Federal Communication Commission.  In 2014, Pai talked about openly being against net neutrality, and one day planning to repeal it.  In 2015, he voted against placing the internet and the service in the Title II of the Communications Act.  This means that the internet can not “mak[ing] any unjust or unreasonable discrimination in charges, practices, classifications, regulations, facilities, or services”.  This means that internet service providers (ISP) cannot purposely slow or block internet speeds and access to websites.  “It’s outrageous that I’m going to have to pay for my internet.  My son’s going to be outraged too,” English teacher Mrs. Springfield said.

With this repeal in place, ISP’s are allowed to charge people to access different websites, if they do not like the website itself.  For example, let’s  say a ISP like Verizon, supports Bing and thinks everyone should use Bing.  Verizon can make it so people trying to use Google or any other search engine that’s not Bing will be blocked from the site or have their speeds reduced unless they pay a fee.  ISP’s can create “slow lanes” and “fast lanes” for people who are willing to pay to have high internet speeds.   “It’s dumb, how could that work,” senior Kilian McCrea said.

The vote is very controversial to date, and is still able to be rejected.  It has to go through courts, where the repeal can be votes against.  “Hopefully they will be able to stop it” said freshman Landon Hayes.  The vote is now up to the court to stop the repeal, and a lot wish that  action will be taken to stop net neutrality for dying in the U.S.

• Net Neutrality repealed by FCC by 3-2 vote; citizens outraged

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs

Cape Culture

Halfway Through the 2017-18 School Year

A&E

Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

News

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade