Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

A+screenshot+of+was+taken+on+the+app+QuakeFeed+shortly+after+the+earthquake+rocked+the+east+coast.+QuakeFeed+is+an+app+that+allows+the+user+to+view+information+about+earthquakes+that+have+occurred+across+the+world.+
A screenshot of was taken on the app QuakeFeed shortly after the earthquake rocked the east coast. QuakeFeed is an app that allows the user to view information about earthquakes that have occurred across the world.

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor-in-Chief

During Sophomore year students are taught about Plate Tectonics and how the plates are well below Earth’s surface and they are always moving around. On November 30th at around 4:47 PM an earthquake rocked the Mid Atlantic region. The earthquake was at first rated a 5.1 on the Richter scale, but was later downgraded to a 4.1. The Richter scale is a scale that is used to rank seismic (earthquakes) activity based on the strength of the earthquake and how the long the shaking actually lasted. The scale is a 1-10 logarithmic scale, 1 being a weak quake and 10 being a extremely disastrous quake.

The epicenter of the quake was located about six miles east of Dover. However the shaking had been felt from Virginia all the way up to New York City. The closer a person is to the epicenter of the more shaking they would feel. So people that live in areas like DC and NYC probably didn’t feel the shaking as much as the Delawareans did. “I stayed after school for rehearsal and I didn’t even feel the earthquake,” Senior Tyrese Riddles said. Similar to Tyrese, many students claim that they didn’t feel the earthquake in Delaware but they felt the 5.8 earthquake that shook the state of Virginia in August of 2011.

In reference to Plate Tectonics, the United States is located on the North American Plate. With one fault line in the East and one in the West.  The fault line in the East is called the Mid Atlantic Ridge because it runs through the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, no where near Delaware. The fault line in the West is referred to as the San Andreas fault. This fault line runs right through the state of California and is the cause for many major tremors on the West Coast.

Closer to home, this earthquake is pretty major for this region. An earthquake at this magnitude hasn’t been felt since 1871 when another 4.1 shook the state of Delaware. What caused this mysterious tremor?  Many scientists are beginning to assume that there is a fault line that runs through the East Coast that has not yet been discovered. Another reason could be that this earthquake could have been caused by human activity such as fracking and water waste disposal, which is what has caused the dramatic rise in earthquake activity across the United States. “When the earthquake happened the tv started to shake and my dad asked me if I was jumping up and down and that’s when we realized it was an earthquake,” Senior Dylan Ketchersid said.

Reports of damage or injuries have not yet been reported. However closer to the beaches, a pipeline reportedly busted in the Tanger Seaside Outlets in Rehoboth Beach around the same time. Locals believe that the two events could have been connected. However there’s no word yet on whether they really were connected.

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

A&E

Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher

• Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region