Hillary R. Clinton Releases Memoir of 2016 Election “What Happened”

A photo of the front cover of Hillary Clinton's book, titled

A photo of the front cover of Hillary Clinton's book, titled "What Happened". The book became a Amazon Best-Seller within hours of release to the public.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Katie Redefer, Editor in Chief

On September 12th, Hillary Rodham Clinton’s book What Happened was released to the public. The highly anticipated memoir quickly reached top of the Amazon Best-Seller List within hours of release. Ever since Clinton announced she would be releasing a book on her account of the 2016 election, fans and critics alike have been buzzing over the release of this memoir. Now, the time has finally come for readers to indulge in Clinton’s personalized retelling of her campaign.

When Donald J. Trump won the presidential election in November of 2016, Americans have been left to wonder how exactly this all happened. Clinton was the projected winner in most polls, and won the popular vote by 3 million+ votes. It was a mere 100,000 votes in swing states such as Michigan, Pennsylvania, and others that cost Clinton the election. In What Happened, Clinton covers this subject with brutal honesty, explaining her cycles of disappointment, anger, and acceptance towards the outcome of the election.

Clinton bears all in this memoir, recounting her moments of utter frustration such as when she wrote about the people who apologized to her in person for not voting. She recounted from one particular memory, saying “I wanted to stare right in her eyes and say, ‘You didn’t vote? How could you not vote?! You abdicated your responsibility as a citizen at the worst possible time! And now you want me to make you feel better?’ Of course, I didn’t say any of that. These people were looking for absolution that I just couldn’t give. We all have to live with the consequences of our decisions.” Additionally, Clinton records her memories of hope after losing the election, writing “though, watching the Women’s March, I couldn’t help but be swept up in the joy of the moment and feel like the unmistakeable vitality of American democracy was reasserting itself before our eyes.”

Aside from the events after the election, Clinton writes about her experience during the campaign. She has no limits when discussing the harsh truths of the Russian interference in the 2016 election, and the Wikileaks email scandal. All of this she addresses with professionalism while still creating a unique and emotional connection with the reader.

Anna Ives-Michener, a senior and Clinton supporter commented her opinion on the book, saying, “I’m definitely excited to read the book because I care a lot about what Hillary has to say about the election. I’ve already bought the book and I’m reading it now.” Daphne Branner, sophomore also said about the book, “I haven’t read the book yet but I would be interested to because it would be unique to hear from a politician who didn’t win an election. And considering she probably won’t run the next election, I think she’ll be very honest.”

Although What Happened was clearly written most directly for Democrats and Clinton supporters, the book is a must read for any person who cares about American politics. It grants closure to those who voted for Clinton, and could give a new perspective on Clinton’s struggle during the election to more conservative audiences. No matter each reader’s individual political outlook, it is undeniable that the 469 pages of Clinton’s memoir will forever be a treasured historical artifact of the 2016 election.

• Hillary R. Clinton Releases Memoir of 2016 Election “What Happened”

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle

News

Locals Distraught Over Animal Neglect Case in Seaford

Showcase

Astros VS Dodgers: World Series Reactions

A&E

Sexual Assaults by Hollywood Producer Harvey Weinstein Come to Light

Cape Culture

Meet Mrs. Khan, the Excited New Teacher

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

Cape Culture

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Spirit Week 2017