Terrorist Attack in London Leaves Citizens Terrified

Multiple+emergency+vehicles+lined+up+outside+of+the+Parliament+building+following+the+attack.+Photo+by+Creative+Commons.+
Multiple emergency vehicles lined up outside of the Parliament building following the attack. Photo by Creative Commons.

Nathaniel Zebley, Editor

On March 22, a man driving in front of the London Parliament building drove over a curb and struck multiple pedestrians. Wielding a knife, the man — identified as Khalid Masood — attacked multiple people including a police officer. The suspect was later shot and killed after climbing over the gates of the Parliament.

In the wake of what is being called a terrorist attack by British officials, multiple news outlets have reported on the tragedy. The official death and injury count was released only hours after the incident. A total of four people — including the shooter — were killed, and 29 were left injured. One of the victims was a London tourist, visiting from the United States.

“I think it was a terrible thing to happen; however, I believe that less people would have been injured and killed if the cops were able to carry firearms,” said senior Sean Graham. Law enforcement carrying firearms has been a prevelant issue in the both the United States and the UK — most recently after various incidents of civilians being shot and killed by police officers.

The attacked garnered a response from various leaders all over the world, and even started trending across all platforms of social media — with the hashtag “#PrayForLondon” trending worldwide. The Chancellor of Germany, Angela Merkel, said in a statement that her thoughts were, “with our British friends and all of the people of London.” United States President Donald Trump even spoke with the British Prime Minister, Theresa May, on the phone to offer his condolences.

“It is sad that there are people out there who will not only waste their lives, but will also try to harm and kill others for the sake of their own selfish reasons,” said senior Joshua Dorofee. The attack has forced many countries — including the United States — to increase public security in certain areas with high populations.

The deepest condolences of the Cape Publications classes goes out to the victims’ and their families.

• Terrorist Attack in London Leaves Citizens Terrified

Cape Culture

History of Homecoming

Cape Culture

Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday Spirit Week 2017

A&E

Theater Students Will be Taking Their First Field Trip to See “Mean Girls the Musical”

Cape Culture

New Teacher Interview: 11th Grade’s Ms. Mills

Cape Culture

Long Waited Senior Privilege Revoked

News

Hillary R. Clinton Releases Memoir of 2016 Election “What Happened”

A&E

Musical By Elton John and Tim Rice “Aida” Closes Off Theater Season

About Town

Love Creek Elementary School To Open Fall of 2017

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?