Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

Photo Credit: Photo By CNN

Photo Credit: Photo By CNN

Katie Redefer, Editor

On Monday, September 26th, the first Presidential Debate between former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and businessman Donald Trump took place at 9pm. The moderator for the debate was Lester Holt, who established that the three categories throughout the debate would be Achieving Prosperity, America’s Direction, and Securing America. Each category would have 6 segments that lasted 15 minutes individually, where the candidate would be asked a question followed with 2 minutes to answer.

The debate continued over the course of an hour and a half, remaining civilized for a mere few minutes until the arguments began. Trump yelled and Hillary scoffed, both deliberately trying to push one another’s buttons. Trump stumbled over his lies, and ironically enough, seemed to be coming down with a cold of some sort as he continually sniffled the entire debate. Hillary was awe-struck by some of Trump’s comments, and made sarcastic facial expressions, yet generally kept her composure.  It seemed every word out of Hillary’s mouth irritated Trump, as he butted in often with “wrong!” or “not.” while she spoke. Both candidates couldn’t seem to stay on topic, often going over time restrictions and speaking over the moderator. Overall, the consensus of the debate was that little was established of the two’s policies, yet many personal attacks were made against each other.

Social media exploded after the debate, in which many influxes of thoughts mixed together. #TrumpWon trended on Twitter for a few hours the day after, although most of the tweets in the hashtag were in favor of Hillary. Overall, people thought that both candidates jumped away from questions and acted immaturely.

Cape students were buzzed after the event as well. Ana Ives-Michener, Junior, said, “Hillary Clinton won. No bias. She won. Trump acted like a baby and interrupted her many times. The topics were a little too controversial to start with, but Hillary handled them well.” Similarly, Junior Evangeline Dillard said, “”I support Hillary because I’m a Democrat and Donald Trump is crazy.”

Diversly, Junior Zane Kesler spoke favorably of Trump. He said, “I thought the debate was strong for Trump in the first third of it but then he went off track,” He paused. “I don’t like that he didn’t bring up Hillary lying to Congress and I didn’t like her plan for solar panels. Donald Trump is the under dog, but everyone loves to see an under dog win. I feel that our debt needs a businessman like Donald Trump to handle it , so he can make America great again.”

The debate was an eventful one at the least. With the hype over the first one, the other two debates are sure to pull a larger young people audience then before, and possibly even a large voter turn out.

If you are 18, register to vote now no matter your political belief. Go to Vote.USA.gov to register. Your vote matters!

• Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

A&E

Musical By Elton John and Tim Rice “Aida” Closes Off Theater Season

About Town

Love Creek Elementary School To Open Fall of 2017

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes