Low Ticket Sales but Positive Feedback for Sadie Hawkins Dance

Nathaniel Zebley, Editor

On March 11, the Student Government Association hosted Cape’s first-ever “Sadie Hawkins” dance for students. The Sadie Hawkins dance — a tradition dating back to 1938 — breaks away the norm and has girls ask guys to the event. Tickets for Cape’s dance were sold at $5 per person with the proceeds being donated to aid juvenile diabetes research.

The Sadie Hawkins dance was not meant to be as formal as either homecoming or prom, and its main purpose was to let students have fun, not worry about schoolwork, and support a worthy cause.

“It was a good way to have some fun on the weekend and take my mind off of school,” said Senior Holden Kammerer.

The overall opinion of the dance was positive, with many of the students who attended saying they had a fun time attending the event.

“It was exciting and fun for seniors to have one last dance before we graduate,” said Senior Sarah Hyde.

Although the dance was said to be enjoyable by most students, the overall ticket sales were low. From the few students that did attend the dance, it was reported that many had left the dance after only about an hour. Some students felt that the low attendance had to do with the event not being well-organized as well as confusion over when the actual date of the dance was.

While attendance was lackluster, the prospect of finally having a Sadie Hawkins dance at Cape intrigued many students with many hoping that it can become a regular occurrence.