Marching Band Goes to Milton for St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Color Guard was spinning to the school’s cadences and the band’s version of “I’m Shipping Up To Boston”. From left to right, seen above are Junior Dora Perez, Freshman Kareena Keswani, Freshman Amanda Holtgrewe, and Freshman Tori Jacobson.

Photo Credit: Tara Liburdi

Photo Credit: Tara Liburdi

Photo Credit: Tara Liburdi

Kareena Keswani, Staff Writer

The “Pride of the Cape” went up to Milton for the 11th Annual Milton St. Patrick’s Day Parade. According to Mr. Chris Burkhart, the band director, the band has been performing in it since it first started. “Way before me, this is probably their tenth or eleventh parade,” he said.

It is the seniors’ last parade in the band, which is sad for everyone. “It’s bittersweet, but I guess it’s like moving onto bigger, brighter things,” Senior and drum major Melanie McCloy said. The band’s drum major is headed to Princeton this fall, where she said she probably won’t continue with marching.

The band played “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” by The Dropkick Murphys. It’s a fun Irish song by an American-Celtic band. “We’re doing it because the kids wanted to last year, but there was an issue,” Mr. Burkhart said. The assistant drum major, Senior Hannah Wiswell, added it’s her favorite song.

It’s the last event for the marching band this school year. They marched and played at all of the football games the Vikings went to, including the away ones. They also did four other parades, which were the Rehoboth, Lewes, and Milton Christmas Parades along with the Seawitch Parade. On top of all that, they were invited to march and play through a football game at Wesley College.

Before they can get to the events, they have to endure Band Camp. Band Camp is a week-long “workshop” during the summer, where the kids learn and review how to march and what songs they’ll be performing at each game. It’s extremely hot and it is eight hours long, but it’s worth it to be a part of something that makes people happy.

Kareena Keswani, Staff Writer

Kareena Keswani is a dedicated student who works to maintain her grades. She enjoys being a member of the Color Guard, doing community service with the...

• Marching Band Goes to Milton for St. Patrick’s Day Parade

Cape Culture

Seniors Participate in National Decision Day

Cape Culture

Spanish Students Travel to Costa Rica

A&E

Music Department Shows The Sound of Music

Showcase

Firefly Music Festival to Take Place in Dover

Cape Culture

Sneak Peek at Prom 2018

News

Mrs. Aiken’s Trip to Africa

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs