Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

The cast of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe pose for a group picture. In the photo from left to right, Sondra Jones as Mrs. Beaver, Bella Myers as Lucy, Sarah Bennett as The White Witch, Tyrese Riddles as Aslan, Ethan Simon as Edmund, Ashley Dickerson as Susan, and Dante Bradshaw as Peter.

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Katie Redefer, Editor-In-Chief

On December 7th the Theatre Program opened their doors to the public to present their version of the play The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe. The play is based off of the first book in The Chronicles of Narnia series written by C.S. Lewis. There were two casts for the production of the show, which will each get to perform the show. Show dates included December 7th at 7pm and December 10th at 2pm and 6pm. Tickets were $5 for students and senior citizens, while general admission was $10.

The show starts following the stories of 4 siblings Lucy, Edmund, Peter, and Susan  who are evacuated to live with the Professor because of bombings in England during World War II. Once they reach the professor’s house, the children decide to play a game of Hide and Seek when Lucy hides in a wardrobe. Inside of the wardrobe is a secret world called Narnia filled with talking animals and magic. The children develop a fondness for Narnia and end up working with a lion named Aslan and other woodland creatures to overthrow the White Witch, the antagonist who had gained control over the land and made it winter forever. In the end, the siblings, Aslan, and other animals defeat the Witch in a great battle against her and her soldiers for the throne of Narnia.

One of the unique characteristics that director Ms. Andros and students working on the show added was the set and costuming. The back drops and costume pieces were embellished with book pages to symbolize how the show originated from The Chronicles of Narnia book series. Specific costume parts made out of book pages include the White Witch’s crown, Aslan’s lion mane, Tumnus’ goat legs, and various other pieces. Sarah Bennett who played the White Witch commented, “I thought it was cool that we built the set out of book pages, I felt it was a unique touch to the show.”

Theater student have worked hard to produce this show for months, spending late nights at rehearsals, set building, and tech runs to make sure the final product was a work of art they could be proud of. Tyrese Riddles, senior who played Aslan said, “It was really interesting being a part of this show. I enjoyed the people in the cast and I’m really happy we did this show.” Additionally, Ethan Simon, a sophomore who played Edmund said, “It was really fun! We stressed a lot at rehearsals but we ended up making a great show in the end.”

To conclude, The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe was an exemplary production that showcased the various skills and talents of Cape theatre students. If you run into any of the cast at school, be sure to congratulate them for giving an excellent performance!

• Theatre Program Performs “The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe”

Cape Culture

The Ridings at Rehoboth support Prom 2018

Opinion

‘Lone Star’: A Tick That Makes You Allergic to Red Meat

News

Students Participate in Walkout Honoring Lives Lost at Parkland Shooting

Cape Culture

Marine Science Classes Participate in Dissection Labs

Cape Culture

Halfway Through the 2017-18 School Year

News

Earthquake Shakes Mid Atlantic Region

Showcase

Barbie To Release First Hijab-Wearing Doll

Cape Culture

Cape Band Boosters Host 2nd Annual Bands at the Beach Fundraiser

A&E

The Pride of the Cape Marches in 2017 Seawitch Parade

Cape Culture

Mrs. Locklear Raises Awareness With Breast Cancer Battle