Cape Robotics Advances to Worlds Competition

Morgan Schwab, Staff Writer

On April 21st, 2016 Seniors Kyle Eastham, Griffin MacCoy, Jack Kyritsis, Tyler Nichols, and Junior Ryan Wisely went to Worlds in Louisville, Kentucky. A few months back, the students attended regionals and won 1st.

Griffin MacCoy was also in School of Rock, the theatre academy’s spring musical. “I recited my lines at the hotel and on the bus,” said Senior Griffin MacCoy. “We also recorded singing blocks and put them on schoology so I practiced those as well.”The boys went to worlds with confidence and the happiness they had for just getting the chance to compete. “Overall, it went well.” Senior Jack Kyritsis said.

The team of five competed against other states and countries. “It was kind of nice to see what other people come up with,” Senior Tyler Nichols said. During one of the matches, the robots tire axle popped out. “After the match we changed the robots design,” Senior Jack Kyritsis said. That was a big set back. They needed the time after the match to hurry and fix it. “In a way that was a good thing,” Nichols said. “We got to modify things and make it better.”

There were three different categories: Computer Programing, Driver skills, Divisional play. In computer programing the team placed 73 out of 500. In driver skills the team placed 133 out of 500. In Divisional play the team placed 91 out of 100.