Challenge Day!

Photo Credit: Kelly Granger

Photo Credit: Kelly Granger

Kelly Granger, Editor

On April 11, 2017, students went to challenge day which is a day-long interactive workshop where teens, teachers, and community members experience for themselves that compassion and connection are indeed possible in our schools. Challenge Day used to be called Chain Reaction Day/Rachel’s Challenge.

Rachel’s challenge is an organization in the United States that works to reduce violence. She was the first person to be killed in the columbine high school shooting in 1999. Darrell Scott, Rachel’s father, created the challenge for his daughter’s essay and the two-pages “Code of Ethics” she wrote a month before her death at the hands of Eric Harris and Dylan Klebol. Challenge Day is related to Rachel’s challenge because Rachel’s challenge is the whole program and the Chain reaction was the second part of the challenge.

Students and staff participate in the challenge by going to the assembly in the beginning of the school year and learning about it, then they attend the Chain Reaction Day. The program was meant to help kids start their own chain reaction and be nicer to everyone. Sophomore, Tiffiany Galvez went to the challenge and she thinks it was sad and very emotional. “I think more people should go to this program because it shows how much one person is going through.”

Junior, Katelynn Robinson felt nervous at the beginning of the program because she didn’t know a lot of people there. “I started opening up near the middle and end of the program because everyone was on the same level of emotion.” Katelynn thinks it should be school-wide, what she means by that is the whole school should go to it and learn that everyone goes through something. Freshman, Sabrinna Bennett felt bored at the beginning but started having fun near the middle, and at the end of the program she was crying. Overall, the program was emotional and fun. Everyone was having fun when they were playing the games and they started crying at the end when they had to “Cross The Line”, it was very hard on most people because there was questions that were asked that were personal and deep.

• Challenge Day!

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

• Challenge Day!

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

• Challenge Day!

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

• Challenge Day!

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

• Challenge Day!

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes

• Challenge Day!

News

Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

• Challenge Day!

Cape Culture

New Science Teacher – Mr. Kilby

Challenge Day!