2017 All-State Band Students

Nathaniel Zebley and Hannah Lowe

On Saturday, January 21st, auditions for the Delaware All-State Band were held for students in school music programs in Delaware. Students from all over Delaware auditioned for the spots in the organizations, and seven students from Cape’s band program were selected for three of the seven different organizations in the All-State Band. The All-State band is operated by the DMEA (Delaware Music Educators Association) and is comprised of several different organizations. These various organizations include: Orchestra, Jazz Band, Junior Band (grades 7-9), Senior Band (10-12), Junior Chorus (7-8), Senior Chorus (9-12), and Women’s Choir (9-12).

Six students in Cape’s band program were selected for the 2017 Senior All-State Band. Senior Erin Gallagher placed 4th chair flute; Junior Brooke Greenstein, 9th chair flute; Junior Hannah Wiswell, 16th chair clarinet; Senior Juan Marquez, 17th chair clarinet; Junior Emily Heilner, 7th chair trumpet; and Junior Matthew Libby, 7th chair trombone.

“This is the second time I’ve made All-State,” said Senior Juan Marquez. “This year, I’m most excited to make new friends from around the state. It’s always so much fun socializing with other band kids,” he continued.

Like his fellow musicians, Marquez spent a great deal of time practicing for his audition and is thrilled that his work earned him a spot in the band. He said, “I started practicing regularly for my audition in early November and it feels great to make it! I’m glad months of hard work paid off.”

Freshman Ruby Dillard was selected in a spot for the 2017 Junior All-State Band, claiming 4th chair French horn– making her the only freshman from Cape to be selected in an All-State Band spot in 2017. Emily Heilner, who is also in the 2017 Senior All-State Band, was also selected for 3rd chair trumpet in the All-State Jazz Band.

Congratulations – and good luck – to the students involved in the 2017 All-State Band!

For concert dates and the full All-State Band roster, visit delawaremea.org.

2017 All-State Band Students