Editor’s Note: Love, Respect, and Journalism

Hannah Lowe, Editor-in-Chief

It’s 2017, and the new year has not begun well for the world of media. The credibility of journalism has been called into question in light of the “fake news” phenomenon and the President of the United States himself has decried major news outlets as biased and disreputable. Yet even in a time when the media is increasingly viewed as Public Enemy No. 1, I have never been more motivated to write.

It’s true that Viking Ventures is far from a major news network. We aren’t uncovering public scandals nor are we breaking the stories of the century. That said, we still represent the field of journalism as a whole and we operate as such. It’s our duty to rebuild trust in the media by producing honest, ethical work for the readers who trust us to report the truth. Our stories are exhaustively researched and thoroughly edited. We trade in fact, not rumor or speculation. Editorial bias is unacceptable. As Editor-in-Chief, I have made a commitment to do everything within my power to produce upstanding journalistic work for our readers.

It’s 2017 — and nearing Valentine’s Day — so I ask you to help me characterize the relationship between the public and the media with the spirit of the season: love and respect.