Two Teens Arrested for Tennessee Wildfires

Pictured+is+the+Smokey+Mountains+from+a+helicopter.+The+Mountain+range+is+often+referred+to+as+the+Smokies.+The+Smokies+are+located+on+the+North+Carolina+and+Tennessee+state+border.+The+range+is+home+to+187%2C000+acres+of+forest.+
Pictured is the Smokey Mountains from a helicopter. The Mountain range is often referred to as the Smokies. The Smokies are located on the North Carolina and Tennessee state border. The range is home to 187,000 acres of forest.

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker

Photo Credit: Sarah Hunsicker

Sarah Hunsicker, Editor

Late into the evening on November 23rd, a small fire had erupted towards the top of the Smokey Mountains. This fire was named the Chimney Tops 2 fire.  The fire soon grew and became uncontrollable blazing wildfires. These wildfires then spread to Gatlinburg and a nearby tourist hotspot, Pigeon Forge.  As of December 7th, only 64 percent of this fire had been contained. The Chimney Top 2 fire has also destroy 17,000 acres around and inside the Smokey Mountains National Park. A second fire has also erupted just five days after the first fire had begun. This fire has been named the Cobbly Nob fire. As of December 7th, 900 acres of land has been decimated and 67 percent of the fire has been contained. Two teens, ages 15 and 17, were charged with aggravated arson. The two teens were reportedly playing with matches which caused the Chimney Tops 2 fire.

Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are both well populated towns which are decorated with tons of forests and of course the Smokey Mountains National Park. Law Enforcements are still working on deciding whether or not the two teens should be tried as adults and put into an adult prison. If someone is old enough to know how to light a match, then they should know how to act responsibly with a match. Most people know that matches produce fire, which can potentially damage the surrounding environment. If someone is old enough to know this, then I believe the adults should be tried as adults and put into an adult prison.

At this point, the two teens charged are sitting in Sevier County Detention Center. If the duo is convicted of aggravated arson, then they can face up to 60 years in prison. The teens could also be convicted of first degree murder, and could stay behind bars for the rest of their lives. During the wildfires, 14 people were killed and another 175 were injured. There has been an estimated $500 million in damage with 20,00o acres scorched.

• Two Teens Arrested for Tennessee Wildfires

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes

News

Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

Cape Culture

New Science Teacher – Mr. Kilby