Students React to Donald Trump Winning the Presidency

Photo by: PaperDue.com

Photo by: PaperDue.com

Nathaniel Zebley, Editor

On November 8th, businessman and republican candidate, Donald Trump, shocked the United States by winning the 2016 Presidential Election. All over the world, people are voicing their opinions about the election and the brand new president-elect of the United States. Students and the young people of America in particular, have not been shy to express whether or not they supported Trump and his 2016 presidential campaign.

Many people are happy that Donald Trump has been elected as the 45th President. Some believe that Donald Trump can, and will follow through on his promises to “Make America Great Again.” “I am happy with the election outcome and I think he will make a great Presdient, I believe he will make America great again,” said senior Matthew Zehner. “Also, I don’t really think Hillary was running for America, she was running for herself; she does whatever it takes to get what she wants,”  he goes on to say. For the most part, Trump supporters just believe that Donald Trump was a better choice as opposed to the democrat candidate, Hillary Clinton. “I think that Donald was a better choice than Hillary because I would rather not have a president who had the FBI on their case,” said a sophomore who wishes to remain anonymous. “We also needed something other than Obama, and Hillary wasn’t going to change anything that Obama has done, which Donald said he would do different. I think Donald Trump will make good choices for The United States future, such as help bring us out of debt a little bit and even help create more jobs,” the anonymous sophomore goes on to say.

On the other side of the spectrum, there were also many that didn’t support Donald Trump and weren’t happy with the results of the election. “Donald Trump as our President is quite a scary thing. Electing Donald Trump as our president is the biggest mistake the U.S. has made,” said senior Antonio Moreno. Many have shared the same opinion and are actually worried for the future  of both the people and the country due to this election. “I don’t really understand how someone with no political background could get the highest possible political position in the U.S. Also I don’t understand how someone, whose whole campaign was run on the idea of hate, could have such a huge following. His V.P. wants to send gays to electric shock therapy and his followers have been causing hate crimes since his election because they believe that his win means white supremacy. The KKK and Neo-Nazis support him openly and we aren’t supposed to be unhappy? Muslims, PoC, LGBT, women, we are all scared that our rights will be dismissed. And just because he has one black man, one gay man, and one woman on his staff means we are supposed to believe he is not sexist, racist, and homophobic. Yet the people he chose are known for their own hatred towards others. I am not happy nor am I excited for the future. I’m terrified as a bisexual woman. I’m terrified for PoC, Muslims, LGBT and other women, and I have every right to feel this way based on Trumps actions,” said senior Peyton Holtzclaw. There were also some who were just glad that the election ended. “The election was just so out of control. I’m not happy with the results, but I’m glad it’s over,” said junior Sarah Bennett.

While people were expressing their opinions on the election, there were a lot of people who were shocked that Donald Trump won. “I was more surprised than anything else. I don’t follow politics or look into them much, but I wasn’t expecting him to win. I’m not really sad or happy that he won, I just hope he does well,” said senior Alex Diaz. In the middle of both sides, there are also some who didn’t support either candidate. “I think that this election had the two worst nominees and truly shows how much power social media has on us,” said junior Clayton Scoda.

The 2016 election is certainly one that will be talked about in years to come. While this election had many people expressing differing opinions, this has been regarded as one of the most talked about elections in the United States ever. Hopefully, the brand new president-elect can stick to his plans, and maybe even prove his doubters about his presidential campaign wrong.

**The opinions in this article do not reflect those of the Cape Viking Ventures staff and editors**

• Students React to Donald Trump Winning the Presidency

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes

News

Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

Cape Culture

New Science Teacher – Mr. Kilby