French Students Set for Paris Trip

Darby Hollinger, Editor

Attention, les élèves! Le département de langues a des nouvelles excitantes! There is exciting news from the language department! Students enrolled in any of Madame Criswell’s French classes have been given an opportunity to spend a week this April in Paris, France. 12 students have signed up for this voyage of a lifetime. Throughout their stay in the City of Light, they will see many of France’s most famous and revered landmarks. After arriving at the Charles-de-Gaulle airport, they will rest for the night and then immediately begin their cultural immersion in the student neighborhood of Paris, the Quartier Latin. Following that, they will visit such locations as Notre Dame, the Sainte Chapelle, the Louvre, the Palace of Versailles, and of course, the Eiffel Tower. In addition, they will get a behind-the-scenes look at some uniquely French industries, like a bakery and a perfumery. All-in-all, the itinerary is packed with incredible cultural experiences.
Madame Criswell is very pleased by the interest shown in the trip. After last year’s foreign exchange program was cancelled due to lack of participants, the success of this trip was uncertain at first. It is clear now that any concerns over this spring’s trip were unnecessary, thankfully. Madame Criswell knows how important it is for young people to explore other countries.

“Traveling abroad gives students real-life perspective on the language and skills and information they learn in the classroom,” she said. “They get to see it in real life; it brings it to life [for them].” Visiting a country that one is learning about in class can really help students connect with their lessons. As she explains, “For the most part it’s a motivating factor. Because you get to see the stuff in real life, it motivates you to own it and become a part it.”
Sarah Bennett, a junior in French 3, is thrilled to be going to Paris with her classmates. She explained her desire to go, saying, “I love traveling and I am a third year student in French. The culture interests me, and with this trip I can further my knowledge in this class.” When asked what she is most looking forward to about Paris, she said, “The food is going to be so yummy! I can’t wait to make wonderful memories with my class and family.”
This spring is going to be quite an exciting time for these lucky students. The time they spend in Paris will stay with them as treasured memories forever, and will broaden their understanding of the diverse world around them.

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

News

Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

• French Students Set for Paris Trip

Cape Culture

New Science Teacher – Mr. Kilby

French Students Set for Paris Trip