Theater Opens Fall Play “Romeo and Juliet”

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Photo Credit: Katie Redefer

Katie Redefer, Editor

The Cape Henlopen Theater Academy opened their first main-stage production of the 2016-17 school year, “Romeo and Juliet” on November 18th. Decisions to do the traditional Shakespearian show were announced last school year, and students have been rehearsing this year since late September. This production stared with sophomore Will Warrick as Romeo Montague and senior Erin Gallagher as Juliet Capulet. Featured in the show also is Mr.Hense as Friar Laurence, sophomore Kelly Collins as the Nurse, junior Tyrese Riddles as Tybalt, sophomore Dylan Baldwin as Mercutio, and senior Phoebe Callard as Benvolio.

Most American students will study Romeo and Juliet at some point in their high school career. The classic story depicts the woeful tale of star-crossed lovers Romeo and Juliet, who are forbidden from ever being together by their family’s deep rooted rivalry. Set in Verona, Italy in the Renaissance period, the show is complete with a marriage, 6 deaths, and 5 sword fights. It ends in the Capulet tomb with the tragic suicides of Romeo and Juliet.

Students opened the show to the public gleefully on Friday, November 18th. The show played for the duration of 2 hours and lasted for the remainder of the weekend. Crowds applauded as the cast took their final bow of Sunday the 20th.

The cast was all very proud of their performances. Tyrese Riddle, a junior who played Tybalt said,
“It was amazing being a part of this show. It brought us together as a family, going through tough times and perfecting the show. It was very interesting, it all paid off at the end.” Kelly Collins, sophomore who played the Nurse said, “It’s a great cast we had, there’s so much talent among us. Everyone brings a special talent or personality to this show show so it really helps it all come together.”

Additionally, the cast felt that although the show was challenging to produce, it was worth. Scottie Nye, senior who portrayed as the Prince said, “It was very interesting in the beginning to see the show grow. It makes me feel like the theater can do anything. ” Similarly, junior Sarah Bennett who was a townsperson commented, “The show was really fun being a part of. I’m a big fan of Shakespeare so I think it’s cool that we got to do Romeo and Juliet this year. Rehearsals are hard but it all paid off in the end.”

Overall, the show was a big success and the Cape Theater Academy is excited to continue the acting season with Aida as their spring musical in March.

• Theater Opens Fall Play “Romeo and Juliet”

Cape Culture

Brian Donahue to Retire After 2016-17 School Year

Opinion

Are High School Students Under Too Much Pressure?

Opinion

Students React: Ringling Bros. Circus Closing

Showcase

Football National Signing Day

• A&E

Theater Students Participate in 2017 ESU Shakespeare Competition

• Cape Culture

2017 All-State Band Students

• About Town

Sadie Hawkins Preview

About Town

Lefty’s Alley and Eats Opens in Lewes

News

Young People Captivated By First Presidential Debate

Cape Culture

New Science Teacher – Mr. Kilby